Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Reflection of Movies


"Shakespeare Walla",
"Macbeth", "Pygmalion", and "A Streetcar Named Desire"

After watching few movies, I would like to write some reflection. The first movie that I watch was “Shakespeare Walla”, it was bored for me, not only because it is a black-and-white movie, mainly because I do not understand the content and the language used in the movie. When I’m watching the movie, I just feel like the ‘sleeping angel’ visiting me.

Then the second movie, Feb 25, 2008, “Macbeth” is the most violent movie that I ever watch, I feel like vomit after watching the movie. By the way, I seldom watch war movie because I think it is bored and violent. However, the drama “Macbeth” is an interesting play despite it violence. The development of the plot increases my curious to know the ending of the play. The cruel of Macbeth let me see the evil part of human; he is willing to kill anyone in order to maintain his status of a king. This action lead to his tragic fall, not only destroys him, but also destroys his family and his country. Furthermore, I feel that Macbeth’s wife also need to take responsible to his action, she is the one who encourage him to kill people from the beginning. If she had stop Macbeth earlier, the story line will never be the same. This also reminds me of Oedipus’ wife, when Oedipus started to concern about the oracle, Iocaste ignore it. She is giving assurance to him that there is no reason to believe in prophecy.

Last Monday, March 3, 2008, we watched “Pygmalion”. I feel that the story of the play is much like fairy tale. A poor ugly lady eventually become a princess and found her true love. Then, March 10, 2008, we watch the third movie, “A Streetcar Named Desire”, it was the most interesting drama compared to the previous three dramas that we watch. This is the first play that we have already study before we watch it, Although some of the storyline changed, but the play do helps me to impress more on the story compare to just reading the text. I realized how well the writer used a text to describe something that just appear for few second, and how impressed there are to see the real action in the entire story. Both the presenting style helps us to get into the world of literature and comprehend the story better. Without viewing the film, I hardly imagine how is the real situation due to the lack of knowledge about the historical background about the story. The film has helped me to understand the story much better, especially the portrayal of characters. I can see from their costume, the speech of the characters, their action, gesture and facial expression. Besides that, I can see the setting of the house of Stanley and Stella; it helps me to understand their social-economy status.

In short, I gain something from all the movies we watch, I am looking forward to the next movie.

No comments: